Thursday, August 9, 2012

Kitchen Project: Grouting the Backsplash

After watching a few videos on grouting mosaic tile backsplashes, I thought "Oh, this will be super easy". 

No. 

No, they make it look easy.  The women smearing the grout on with the grout float are freakishly strong, and I don't know how they made it look like the grout just easily wipes away with a sponge. I had to scrub that shit off, and I didn't wait the total drying time. 

The bottom and sides of the backsplash are going to be caulked.  The simple statement in the how to videos of  "don't grout the bottom of the tiles near the countertop" is way easier said than done.  It's difficult to maneuver the giant grout float to grout very close to the bottom in between the tiles and not get any on the very bottom.

Before furiously scrubbing the grout off

I used premixed gray grout, even though the woman in one of the videos I watched condescendingly said "I don't know very many professionals who use the premixed stuff".  Bitch, please. 

When putting the grout on, going in a 45 degree angle does help to get the grout in between the tiles.  There is a lot of scraping involved, and scrubbing it off the tiles after is a lot easier if you scrape as much of it off as possible.  I had to take frequent breaks because holding my arms up for that long made them really sore, but I am a weakling. 

Really glad I put in the under cabinet lighting because the grout makes it look even darker.

No comments:

Post a Comment