Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Kitchen Project: Countertops

My ADD really came out on this one.  I started my countertop transformation, and then decided to do the backsplash in the middle of that project.  I don't recommend this, as the adhesive for the backsplash can be a bit messy.

First, I lightly sanded the countertops with 120 grit sandpaper.

Then I cleaned the countertops with Clorox wipes and Windex.  Many of the DIY sites said to use trisodum phosphate to clean the countertops with, but I said

After cleaning, I taped everything off and added Dexter-style plastic to the cabinets.  I then primed the countertops with 2 coats of Glidden Gripper gray latex primer.  I read that you do not have to sand with this primer, but sanding the countertops isn't that big of a deal and I wasn't willing to risk it.
Looking pretty good already with just primer

As many other DIYers have used, I decided to paint my countertops with Krylon Make It Stone spray paint in Obsidian.  It took 3 coats for it to look like it was covering the primer.  Since I have a great deal of countertop space, this required 9 cans of spray paint. 



This crap got everywhere. Seriously, no one warned that the paint comes out in little flecks, and those flecks would end up 6 feet away, covering the floor in little black dots.  I waited until it was dry, and the flecks came up easily with a Clorox wipe.

The picture doesn't do it justice, it looks pretty good and like stone in real life.

I will be applying a sealant soon.  Hopefully it will end up shiny, gorgeous, and no longer textured.

I planned to use Envirotex pour on high-gloss finish, but with 50+ sqaure feet of countertop to cover, it would have taken around $130 to cover all of it.Instead, I will be using Minwax Polycrylic.

No comments:

Post a Comment