Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Kitchen Project: Cabinets

My kitchen was ugly. Wood on wood with wood. Wood, wood everywhere. Not cute.

I decided the cheap ass solution would be to paint the cabinets and put up a backsplash that I found on clearance. Oh, that would have been too easy.

When painting the cabinets, I followed the same steps as mentioned in the previous entry about the bathroom cabinets. I sanded with 120 grit sandpaper, cleaned the cabinets, taped everything off, primed with Kilz oil-based primer, and painted the kitchen white with Valspar Ultra White kitchen and bath enamel.

I didn't think my precious chihuahua would be interested in the stinky oil-based primer, but as soon as I left the room, she was drinking the paint like it was something to do.  In true Rick James fashion, she then proceeded to say "fuck yo couch!!" and vomited the oil-based paint all over the couch. 
It looks like someone put a bag of french fries on my couch.  I tried using just soap on the couch and scraping the paint off, and that worked to get the color out, but not the oil. I gladly accept suggestions on this matter.
Yum. Oily dog barf.


 Anyway, back to the project... I painted the bottom half of the cabinets and started noticing something was looking off, besides the kitchen hoarding.
After finishing the cabinets, I was pretty happy with them, but I knew something had to be done about the countertops. The white paint really made the ugly countertops stand out. Also, the backsplash I had purchased for the kitchen before painting the cabinets no longer looked like it matched the multicolored countertops. 
Finished Cabinets.

No comments:

Post a Comment